Friday, June 12, 2015

Lighting the way to 40 x 50s

Today was a terrific day. I swam well, made a lamp, bought a few ceiling fans, and received a follow up call from the Robert Half agency.  

I have been to at least a half a dozen consignment shops and 3 lighting speciality shops in hopes to find a few lamps that will say, "buy me!"  Much to no avail, I have not found the price point that I can justify purchasing a lamp or two, much less one that I can't live without. 

As I was strolling through Hobby Lobby, looking at lamps, I got to thinking....I can probably make a lamp, yes?  Of course, the easiest thing is to search on-line for instructions on how to make one.  I learned you can easily make one out of glass, a vase, a figurine, or anything that you can put a hole into.  Sounds simple enough, so I purchased a lamp making kit from Home Depot.  The lamp I was making did not require the long metal tubes (not included in the kit) to hold the wire, nor did I need the 'harp' that holds the shade, since the shade I bought was not compatible for that. The only required pieces from this package are the three gold pieces and the wire. 


I first considered making a glass lamp, however this requires a drill (ours are still in storage) and a special glass drill bit. I purchased the drill bit, and tried to use my dad's drill, however it's not very powerful, so the hole will take a very long while to make, and I didn't have the patience to spend 15 minutes making the hole, when I could have built 5 of these little lamps in that time. 

I was looking around my mom's house, and I happen to pick up this vase looking thing. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that it was a planter, and already had a very nice convenient hold in it!  Yippee no drilling required!  It was a cool mottled brown color too, and a nice unusual shape. 


I got to work by following the instructions from the package. It took a little work to get the bottom piece to sit flat and tight inside the pot.  I could have used a longer thread piece as well, but I made it work. With the wires you make a sort of knot before connecting them to keep them in place. Connecting the wires to the screws is explained in the instructions. The ribbed wire connects to the silver, and the smooth wire connected to the gold screw. 

After you screw the wires in place, you simply place the parts together according to the package diagram,  put the shade on and install the 3 way bulb.  

Viola - we have a cute  & crafty lamp for about $25 


Moving on to more substantial energy output..........

Thursday's practice was written for SCY - however the pool was set up for LCM, but we made it work.

6/11/15

Warm:
400 (50choice/50drill)
300 (50swim/50kick)
200 (50swim/50scull)
100 build

Preset:
8 x 75 @ 1:45 (fins)
odds (underwater/drill/build)
evens (kick/drill/swim)

12 x 25 @ :30 twice thru
25 build to fast turn
25 ez
25 breakout
25 ez
25 FAST!
25 ez

Main:
(12 x 100 @ 1:40)
4 x 100 (breathe every 5 for first 50/every 2 for second on non-favored side)
4 x 100 paddles (breathe every 7 for first 50/2 for second on non-favored side)
4 x 100 paddles jam

1 time:
4 x 100 (25 build/75 fast!)  @ 2' (time permitting, only 3 left in pool at this point)

100 cool

Friday fast day 6/12/15

Warm:
400 swim/300 pull/200 kick/ 100 IM/choice

Preset:
16 x 25 @ :40 (3 drill/1 build)
1 - superman catch up
2 - 3/4 cu with overkick
3 - tennis ball or fist w/ straight arm recovery
4 - choice

Main:
16 x 50 @ :50 (2 moderate/1 stroke count/1 fast)
12 x 50 @ 1:00 (1 moderate/1 stroke count/1 fast)
8 x 50 @ 1:10 (1 moderate/1 fast)
4 x 50 @ 1:30!!!! go for it.

Warm down
My fastest 50 from a push was the last one @ 31.9. I was pretty happy with that. 

Happy Laps!!






No comments: